With over 2 million apps available for download on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, the App Store is a crowded market. It might be difficult for app developers to get their app recognised by potential consumers given the abundance of possibilities. In this blog article, we'll look at how app store reviews and ratings affect app exposure and give a thorough analysis of how they affect it.
The Importance of App Store Reviews and Ratings
The user reviews and ratings are very important for multiple reasons
- It’s a form of feedback for the developers and the owners of the app. It helps in recognising issues, glitches and bugs in the app, which tamper with the app’s performance. It also helps to understand the preferences of the user, which can be a big help to the UI and the UX designers of the app to understand the user behaviour and features that users like.
- The algorithms used by the App stores (Apple App Store and Google Play Store) promote apps based on their reviews and ratings. Until you have any sponsored content, your app can only rank on top if it has good ratings and positive reviews.
- User’s decision is quite often influenced by the ratings and reviews of the app. Users tend to read the reviews before they download any app and it is very unlikely that the user would prefer to download the app if it has poor ratings or negative reviews. Apps with low ratings result in less number of downloads resulting in lower visibility.
The Importance of App Reviews and Ratings to Users
It’s quite understandable that your app’s star rating is a lot responsible for the conversion rate. Let’s have a deeper look at it:
- Upgrading your app's star rating from three to four can boost conversion by as much as 89%. Before downloading an app, about 79% of users read ratings and reviews, and 71% of users say that a 4- or 5-star rating has a positive effect on how they perceive a brand.
- Most apps with high category rankings have star ratings that are higher than 4.0. Your conversion rate will have an impact on how likely it is for your app to attain a high category ranking since category ranking is based on the velocity of downloads.
- The conversion rate of an app, which is influenced by the app's ratings and reviews, is what determines how much of a keyword it converts.
- How well you convert for a keyword affects how highly you rank for that keyword. Your visibility for important keywords will be impacted by your star rating since it directly affects your overall conversion rate.
- Only apps with a rating of 4.0 or above are typically included on both iOS and Google Play. A poor rating will probably prevent your app from being highlighted, which will limit its potential visibility.
Analysing the Impact of App Store Reviews and Ratings on App Visibility
Apps with better ratings are more visible:
Multiple studies have come to the same conclusion that the apps with better ratings stand a better chance to appear in the search results of the app stores. A comprehensive research also discovered that the apps with a rating of 4.5 or higher have a 39x chance to be listed on the homepage.
Reviews can have a significant impact on app visibility:
The negative comments and reviews can impact the app’s visibility heavily. According to one particular survey, an app with a rating of 2.5 stars gets an average of 5 reviews a month whereas an app with 4.5 stars gets an average of 53 reviews per month. A study conducted by Moz shows that the apps that have negative reviews are less likely to get ranked on top 10 search results despite having great ratings.
Number of reviews matter:
Study shows that apps with more than 1000 reviews compared to an app with reviews just under 10 has a visibility factor of 168x. And naturally apps with 1000 reviews tend to have higher ratings and look more credible because of the high number of reviews and ratings.
Impact on Downloads:
By now it's quite understandable how much of an impact ratings and reviews have on every aspect of an app. The number of downloads are directly impacted by the ratings and reviews of the app. A study conducted revealed that an app with a rating of 4.5 stars or more has an average download of 1,25,000 per month whereas apps with a rating below 2.5 merely gets 10,000 downloads per month.
Tips and tricks to Improve App Store Reviews and Ratings:
You can enhance app store reviews and ratings by using a few strategies after realising how important they are. These consist of:
- Encourage users to submit reviews: You can encourage users to do so by asking them to do so within the app or by sending them push notifications after they have used the app for a while. It's crucial to describe how ratings help the app get better.
- React to user reviews: Reacting to both positive and negative reviews demonstrates that you are paying attention to users' problems. This can promote loyalty and trust. Recognise the user's issues when responding to unfavourable reviews, then offer a resolution or justification.
- Consistently update your app: Adding new features, fixing issues, and responding to customer comments will boost your app's ratings and reviews. Users value app developers that take user suggestions into account and make adjustments.
- Deliver top-notch customer service: A pleasant client experience can make a bad one better. Make it simple for consumers to contact you, and address any issues as soon as they arise.
- Take into account rewarding customers for posting reviews: Users might be encouraged to submit reviews by providing in-app awards or discounts. When providing incentives, be sure to abide by the app store rules.
- Keep track of and examine app store reviews: Analysing the ratings of your app can help you spot trends and make adjustments. Utilise this input to determine the importance of problem fixes and new features and to inform your users about upgrades.
You may raise the rating and exposure of your app, which will encourage more downloads and user interaction. If you need help in doing so you contact the best ASO agency in Jaipur, Mobyink.